Monday, August 22, 2011

Turn Pesto into Peschetta

Here is one my favorite cures for lots of leftover pesto.  I invented this a few years ago when I had a bumper crop of basil and I was making giant batches of the garlicky green stuff.  I call this dish PESCHETTA (pronounced Pesketta).  It's kind of like Bruschetta with with pesto.

Here goes.

First, cut up some French or Italian bread, white or wheat both work fine.  Cut the slices anyway you wish - any cut of bread slice will do.

Then, spread a thin coating of leftover pesto on the bread. - Not too heavy, you don't want it clumpy, just a thin, smooth layer.



Next, drizzle a bit of olive oil (any variety you like) over the bread.



Sprinkle some finely grated Parmesan cheese (or any type of hard Italian variety you prefer) over the top.




Optional:  Add some thinly sliced garden fresh tomatoes.


Last - a dose of salt and pepper.

Then, put it into an over at about 350F and cook until the bread is warmed through and a bit crispy.  No specific time limit.



Tonight I had a bit of a crazy meal, I served my peschetta with long grain and wild rice and asparagus with homemade Dijon vinaigrette.  I know, weird, but that's what I had on hand.  No one complained, all plates were wiped clean with the final pieces of the pesto bread.

By the way, keep in mind that a single slice of this goodness can be made for an afternoon snack and heated in a toaster oven - yes, I have done that a few times!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...